[Makebelieve] Fic: Brothers Of The Blood: Mark Of Cain 6 (Please crit)

makebelieve archive makebelievearchive at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 14:38:49 PDT 2008

Brothers Of The Blood: Mark Of Cain
Chapter 6
by PEJA
Summary this chapter: Domani takes care of an injured Ian
Previous chapters can be found at
http://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/viewstory.php?sid=37198&warning=FRM

Ian braced his back and head against the boulder where Domani had propped
him up and stared at his unconscious crewmates who were laid out a little
back and away from them in a secondary campsite.

"Damn me,Domani," he said suddenly, breaking the silence. "I be thinking
'twas an exercise in pure stupidity, coming to this planet without a word of
by-your-leave."

Pausing in his work of wrestling several small, flat-sided boulders into a
make-shift cradle, Domani cast a reproving glance over his shoulder.  "I am
beginning to think you read the planet bio."

Ian ducked his head, grinning.  "Aye, that I did.  Nay so very damning of
me, was it?"

"Damning?  No, but it was naughty."

"Naughty be what I do best, Domani, my bonnie friend.  'Tis to my way of
thinking that Dal expects it of me."

"I expect he does."  Domani hunkered down, feeding several small twigs into
the smokeless fire near the completed rock cradle.  "Having read the report,
you are aware of the odds of any request to land being granted."

"I be full and truely aware we no be wanted here, aye."

"So then you understand the reason the commander did not give Planet
Security warning of his intention of coming planetside."

"I ken the reason, but na the need of coming.  -A Aztore has always been a
wild card. He can do none of us good."

"It is not our place to understand the commander's need, simply to provide
the means of meeting his requirements."  Domani wrapped a supporting arm
around Ian's waist.  "Steady on, now.  I am going to move you," he warned,
and matched his words and actions, shifting the injured man against his own
chest.

"Why do ye no just shoot me and have done with it?" Ian groaned through
grinding teeth.

"I do not believe that would meet the commander's requirements as a suitable
punishment for this floundered landing," Domani said, easing Ian into the
rock cradle.

"What with knowing the great man's mind the way you do, I reckon you can
make that call without much worry."

Domani grinned. "It is my purpose to please.  Support your back against the
rocks while I ascertain the extent of your injuries."

Ian hurled a rebellious glare.  "Has anybody told you ye have some damnable
mothering tendencies?"

Domani chuckled.  "Only you, my friend.  Only you."

"Aye, and rightly so.  'Tis a bloody irritating trait in ye, my bonnie
friend."

"But welcome?"

Ian met his placid gaze and grinned.  "Aye, 'tis most welcome."

"Good."  He tugged his mediscan off his belt and activated the tiny box,
leaning toward Ian.

"Leave off, already," Ian snapped, waving away the mediscan impatiently.  "I
dinna want that."

"Ian, I must...."

He hurled a silencing glare.  "Just let me...."  He snapped, easing his long
fingers over his throbbing chest.  He gave a tiny push.  The raw-edged
nerves screamed as if they'd been scraped  against coarse grade sandpaper.

He bit his lower lip against the fire searing his body and slumped into
himself, riding out the crest while sweat beaded heavily on his face.

"Satisfied?" Domani asked gently.

Breathing slowly, Ian crooked a sheepish glance at his friend. "That was...
interesting."

"Do you find self-imposed torture worth your pig-headed position?"

"Mind over matter,"  Ian muttered hoarsely. "Hurts like bloody hell."

"There is a time and place for holistic practice, Ian,"  Domani assured
him.  "But not now.  Are you prepared to let me ease your suffering?"

Ian glowered at him.  "'Ye be enjoying this overmuch, my friend."

Domani grinned.  "Probably.  Now, I am going to examine you and you are
going to let me.  Do you agree?"

"I be getting a choice, is it?"

"Yes, of course you can choose...,"  Domani said softly, examining his
loosely formed fist in relation to Ian's rebellious chin.  "...Whether you
are conscious or unconscious for the exam.  Choose quickly, Ian.  I am at
the end of my practitioner's bedside manner."

"Ye'd batter an injured mon?"  Ian demanded, his brogue thickening.  "And
here I was thinking we be bosom friends."

"As well we are.  I would give my life, such as it is, for yours, and I will
batter you bloody to prevent you harming yourself.  Now, will you be awake
or asleep for my exam?"

"Awake would suit me best,"  Ian said, looking properly abashed. "'Tis
hoping I am, Miramani will be forgiving me this transgression of our faith."

"Your twin is long dead, Ian.  It is well past time you released her.  Put
her to rest."

"'Tis nay our way, Domani,"  Ian protested.  "My sister will be with me
always.  Her spirit is council to my life.  And to my death.  'Tis her
prerogative to initiate the healing you would give with your... civilized
methods."

"In any other situation, I would honor your beliefs, Ian.  But not this
time.  This time I must override your wishes in consideration of what best
protects the crew."

"'Tis understood, me friend."  Drawing a slow breath, Ian closed his eyes.
"Do what ye must."

Domain chuckled, activating his scanner and moving it slowly over the pale
man's torso.  "I do not understand you, Ian.  You spend your life flying one
of man's greatest technological achievements without blinking an eye, yet
when it comes to the welfare of your body, you cringe from human
advancements as if we mean to do you murder."

"Ye be trying to tell me ye are no?"  Ian grumbled, eyeing the scanner with
distaste. "So, what says that wee beastie?  Will I live?"

"You have three cracked ribs, as you suspected."

Ian's lips curled back from his teeth.  "I should have been a medic,
mayhap?"

Domani clipped the scanner back onto his belt and leaned back on his
haunches.  "You realize this means spending time in the regen vest?"

"I dinna feel all that bad, Domani,"  he protested, not at all comfortable
with the idea.  "I'm thinking you might just bind me chest tight, hey?"

"Ian..."

"'Twas the way a busted rib was treated on me homeworld.  Works as fine as
any regen vest..."

"When the victim has several months time to heal, yes.  But I need you at
peak condition as quickly as possible.  We must transport our injured to a
more secured area as soon as you are able."

Ian groaned, nodding.  "Aye, I ken that."

 "Why are you resisting treatment, Ian?"

Ian glanced toward the brilliantly colored trees lining the clearing.  "The
vest makes me go all fuzzy headed.  Obstructs the connections to me
intuitions.  I am....blinded, after a fashion, if you're seeing me meaning?
I can nay trust my voices."

"Most disconcerting for a mystic, I would imagine," Domani allowed.
"Unfortunately, your injuries require using the vest.  You must aid in
defending those who are unable to defend themselves."

"Aye.  'Tis well and truly understood,"  Ian grumbled, gingerly dragging the
medipack into his arms.  Using great care not to jostle his ribs, he
rummaged through the contents, feeling his disgust climaxing when the
offensive garment proved elusive to his search.

He thrust the bag toward Domani, "I be finding naught.  Might be ye should
try your hand at finding the blasted thing."

Domani gave him a long-suffering glance, then after a quick look through,
drew the bulky vest from the medikit.  "You really must try to cultivate
patience, my friend.  Such oversights could be considered most untimely."

Annoyance tightened Ian's mouth. "Domani."

"Hm?"

"Do me a favor?"

"If I can."

Ian smiled.  "Bugger off."

Domani tipped his head back, laughing heartily.  "Can't do that, my friend.
You need me."

"Oh, aye.  Like I'm needing a bullet through me head, I'm needing you," Ian
sneered and jerked the offensive vest out of Domani's loose grasp, sucking
in a straggled breath when his injured ribs retaliated.

"Hurts, does it?  Moving quick like?"

Ian cut a glance his way. "I'm thinking ye really enjoy me pain, boy-o."

"Now and then," Domani chuckled.  "Yes.  Now, let's quit the stalling and
get that vest on you, shall we?"

"No way I can be talking you out of this, hey?"

Domani tilted his head, consideringly.  "None I can think of.  Get into that
vest.  Now."

Ian hurled a frustrated glare, then, grinding his teeth, he struggled to
thread his arm through a sleeve without jostling ribs that were already
screaming in protest.

Without success.

 Sighing, Domani knelt, balancing on the balls of his feet at Ian's side.
"One thing,"  he said, removing the hated vest from Ian's trembling fist and
laid it aside.  "The vest works best in direct contact with the injury.  So,
off with the shirt, mate."

Ian caught Domani's wrist, eyeing him warily. "'Twill nay steal me soul
through me very skin, do ye think?"

Domani hesitated.  "You don't truly believe that might happen."

"I do no like losing contact with me voices, Domani,"  Ian said softly. "I
be thinking we'll be needing me ESPer talents afore too long."

"If you are unable to give an early alert, we will simply stand a tighter
guard,"  Domani assured him.  "The current danger is in your injury and that
is not yours to bear alone.  None of the crew would begrudge you the time
you spend in healing.  You do know that, do you not?"

"I be knowing logically I could no prevent the crash, but in my heart, I
find myself guilty.  I wonder if mayhap I reacted too slow to the danger.  I
was very much tired.  Mayhap I might have reacted quicker if the flight had
nay drained me so.  Mayhap...."

"You were not at fault, Ian."  Domani interrupted firmly.  "Leave it at
that.  In any other man's hands no one would have walked away from that
landing.  I can assure you of that.  Now, are you ready to proceed?"

Ian drew a shallow breath and nodded.  "Aye, with your help."

Smiling reassurance, Domani eased Ian's tattered, dove grey shirt from his
shoulders and stuffed the discarded garment into the duffel bag.  He paused,
meeting Ian's watchful eyes.  "This may hurt."

"Stuff it, Domani,"  Ian said with a tight smile.  "'Tis sure as hell gonna
hurt. Just do it afore I change me mind."

Domani grinned. "If it pleases you." He guided Ian's arms gently into the
sleeves and sealed the vest.  Keeping a watchful eye on the internal
sensors, Domani applied gentle pressure to the damaged ribs, maneuvering
them into proper alignment.

Rasping pain rippled through Ian's chest.  He sucked a harsh breath through
clenched teeth, trying unsuccessfully to suppress a groan.

Domani paused, studying Ian's tight features.  "I have almost finished."

"'Tis only a wee, little discomfort,"  Ian snapped, wiping sweat from his
upper lip with a shaking hand. "Finish it, man."

Domani nodded.  "It won't be much longer, Ian.  Once I activate the stasis
field," he coded in the healing field as he spoke,  "You shouldn't
experience any pain unless some fool hits you. There, now."

The vest activated with a soft purr.  His chest tingled, warmed under the
healing rays as the pain receded under a numb feeling of well-being.

And a sudden, lurching loss.

Light-headed with the quiet in his head, he grasped Domani's arm to steady
himself.

"Are you all right?"

He managed a sickly grin and nodded.  "'Tis better already."

"Ian?"

The grin faded, leaving his expression desperately anxious. "I be...alone."

end part 6

If you want to see the next part, please please please..tell me what you
think.

The wwomb archive http://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/index.php accepts all
fandoms, all genres. Come create your personal page with us