[Makebelieve] Fic: Tears Of The Wolf 4-5 (xf) Krycek/?

makebelieve archive makebelievearchive at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 20:27:07 PST 2010

Tears Of The Wolf
by PEJA

Several years later, a stranger is thrust onto the ex-agents.
Fandom: X-Files
Characters/Pairing (portrayed by): Time will tell. For now ensemble.
Rating: FRT
Prompt: Does Halloween count?
Warnings: dark themes, AU,
Genre: (General/hetero/slash)undecided, but leaning toward slash,
Mulder/Krycek, Skinner/Krycek.
Series or WIP: WIP
Chapter 1 URL: http://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/viewstory.php?sid=48522
Chapter number if WIP: Chapter 4
Sand-box [open series]: Y
Permission to archive to WWOMB: Y
Acknowledgments/Notes: This is the continuation of a tease I posted on
LJ awhile back.
Disclaimer. X-Files does not belong to me. no money made in this

Part 4

Before he knew what had happened, Mulder found himself unceremoniously
sprawled under the tightly muscled man-wolf.  How the hell had Krycek
moved so freaking fast?

There was no time to consider that lingering question. Not with
Krycek's teeth snapping mere centimeters from Mulder's jugular. Mulder
had only his razor quick instincts to thank for his quick block.
Problem was the arm holding Krycek off as he lunged again and again
was bent awkwardly sending lightning bolts of pain through him each
time Krycek threw himself against it.

Krycek would rip his throat out any second now....

And then it was over. Strong arms pulled the cyclonic dervish off him,
holding him captive through numbers alone while he kicked and bit and
howled at them. Pushing back to his feet, Mulder watched John Doggett
and Walter Skinner force Krycek to his knees, then pin him to the
ground under their weight.

Dana ran up with her med-kit in hand, digging out a hypo as she ran.

"No," Mulder said and she moved to jam the needle home. "Wait."

She turned to look at Mulder, her expression one of skepticism.  "For what?"

Mulder didn't say anything, instead walking to where Krycek violently
struggled for freedom.

Krycek stilled instantly, his eyes narrowed on Mulder, lips peeled
back in a dangerous snarl.

Mulder dropped slowly to his knees, so close their chests touched with
every breath.

Krycek growled from deep in his throat and snapped his teeth in warning.

Mulder tipped his head to the left, exposing is neck to those deadly
teeth as he leaned forward to sniff Krycek's own neck.

Growling, Krycek sniffed him in returned.

Mulder ran his tongue along the length of Krycek's neck, ignoring the
filth and gore painting the skin.

"Oh that's just gross," Doggett muttered, earning a scowl from Skinner.

Krycek returned the leisurely licking, then suddenly his teeth flashed
and bit.

Mulder gasped out a soft whimper, but remained still. Waiting.

Krycek grrr-ed, his head moving back and forth dominantly all the
while careful not to break skin.  He finally released Mulder's throat,
licking the hurt away. The dangerous growl gone, replaced by a curious
canine croon.

Not breaking eye contact with the man wolf, Mulder said, "Let him go.
He won't hurt me now," He directed to Krycek, "Will you?  We're both
on the same side now. All of us. Right? Us against the aliens?"

"Are you crazy?" Doggett wondered.

"No," Skinner said, letting Krycek go. "Mulder's on to something.
Release him, John."

"I don't like this," Doggett murmured, releasing his hold on Krycek.

Krycek growled but remained still.

"Krycek?" Mulder drew the wild man's attention back to  him. "The
wolf. She's important to you. We understand that. Let us bury her. You
don't want her body to lie out in the yard like this. I know you
don't. Let us bury her properly. Okay?....Krycek?"

Krycek's lips moved, forming the word that had been important. Once
upon a time. Krycek. He scowled, not liking the taste of it in his
mouth. Krycek. "Kry....cek."  His voice sounded rusty as his tongue
stumbled around the name. "Krycek."

Voracious memories cracked the barriers he'd built inside his soul to
keep his sanity. They shredded his second life, reclaimed their
rightful place, leaving the reality he knew strewn around his ankles
in great bleeding clumps. Visions of the man before him, the people
surrounding him,  bathed his mind in a fiery inferno of denial.

Dead. He had been dead. But not....

Krycek stared, wide-eyed and horrified at Mulder. "I....know....yo..."
He grabbed his head, crying out as brilliant light exploded behind his
eyes. "Nooooo..."

Part 5

He clawed his way out of the darkness. Not because he wanted to leave
the blanket of velvet black. Oh, no. He very much wanted to stay there
in the dark, protected from the reality glaring like a supernova just
around the edges of his safe haven.

What he wanted didn't enter into it, though.  He pressed forward,
stumbling,catching himself and forcing one step after another because
something dangerous was stalking him. Driving him away from that place
he felt secure. Something he didn't want to know. Something that, if
he paused only an instant, would snatch him from the uneven ground and
cast him into a voracious abyss of times past.

Choking on bitter sobs, he scrambled, staggered drunkenly, clawed his
way upward...upward....

"Finally awake I see."

His lids fluttered, but refused to open, slitting just enough to let
the day's light squeeze through before he retreated behind them again.
 Turning on his side, he groaned and curled into a fetal position.

"Come on, Krycek," a frighteningly familiar, and so very amused voice
tickled his ears. "Wakey-wakey."

A strong hand pulled him back onto his back, drawing a grumble from him.

The light slaps across his cheeks turned the ticket. Krycek's eyes
flew open, revealing his soul-destroying terror.  He kicked out,
wrenching his body out of range of the man, of Mulder, and huddling
against the open framed metal headboard with a snarl on his lips.

Mulder's lips curled and he didn't bother to try to suppress the
chuckle. "Scully thought it best you join the living.  You've been
sleeping the sleep of the Van Winkle's for three days now.

Krycek scowled, rubbing his thumb over a scar set prominently between
his eyes and tried to remember how he'd fallen into Mulder's hands.
The memory was there. But distant. So very distant. Like a phantom
that haunted but never was.

"I...remember....something....You..." He blanched, eyes widening.
"Skinner..." He whimpered, grabbing his head. "Hurts. Hurts. Agh..."
He slammed his head against the wall. And again. And again.

Mulder wrenched him away from harm. "What the fuck...?" he demanded, glaring.

Krycek's hands tangled in Mulder's t-shirt to steady himself. His eyes
caught in Mulder's stare. "You gonna kill me...again?"

Mulder grinned, running his thumb over Krycek's pouting lower lip.
"Why would I do that?"

Krycek sighed against Mulder's thumb, but allowed it to tease his lip.
"Oh I don't know. Maybe because I tried to kill you."  There was no
emotion in Krycek's voice. No spark of life in his eyes.

"Yeah," Mulder drawled, stepping away from the other man. "You did.
Once upon a time. Thing about that, you didn't try very hard, did you?
 Just stood there blubbering about a load of crap. Kinda like you were
waiting for someone to stop you. Kinda like suicide by cop."  He
paused, scowling. "Skinner had to live with pumping those bullets into
you. Did you give that any thought when you pushed him to fire again
and again?  Did you care that someone might be suffering the guilt of
killing another man?"

Krycek drew his legs up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them.
"I did what I had to do."

Shrugging, Mulder nodded. "Always looking to the gold ring, then?  So,
how is it you're sitting here breathing like a living man?"

He laid his head on his knees. "Jeremiah Smith."

"Smith?  He healed you?  Why would he...?"

"Why wouldn't he?"  Krycek closed his eyes. "Dying was a trip, ya
know?  No more worries, no more looking over my shoulder.....I didn't
want to come back." He allowed a half-hearted snort. "Why would I?
Back to all this?"

"What did he want you to do?"

"What did they always want me to do? The dirty work. I...declined to
play. Told him to put things back."  Krycek sighed. "He had other
ideas of what to do with me and I found myself in the middle of
nowhere.  Figured if I was stuck back among the living this was as
good a place as any to go through the motions. Found me a nice cave.
Moved in and waited to die. Somewhere in the mix, the wolves found
me."

"So you've been out there in the hills just watching the rest of the
human race suffer in captivity?"

"I should have just walked in and thrown myself on the mercy of the
alien over-seers, maybe?" Krycek sighed. "Not a martyr, here. Besides,
Smith played havoc with my memory. Or maybe it was dying and being
wrenched back to life. I forgot my past, only knew I wasn't one of
you. Or them. Not anymore." He captured Mulder's skeptical gaze.
"Remembering laid me out here for, what...? You said three days? And
hurt like hell."

Mulder opened his mouth to say something, but his words stuck in his
throat.  His eyes swept over the other man, seeing in his mind's eyes
the vision of the man he had bathed and cleaned up after he had passed
out. It tugged at his conscious how very thin Krycek had grown.
Watching the man now, he couldn't help but add how brittle the
expression of his eyes was

Badgering him suddenly lost any appeal it might have had. "You look
like you could use some food. What say we go hunt something down?"

Krycek tilted his head, studying Mulder. Finally he shrugged and
ambled to his feet. "Food sounds good."

end part 5
and so....continue? drop it? Ideas on what you'd like to see happening?

The MB Archive http://www.squidge.org/peja/cgi-bin/index.php has added
several archive generated newsletters. You can now choose to receive
daily updates for the stories, the challenges and the current news
happening on site by going to your account page and ticking off the
newsletters you are interested in getting.