[Makebelieve] Challenge fic: Too Late - Primeval - Nick Cutter/Stephen Hart, Stephen Hart/Helen Cutter - FRt

makebelieve archive makebelievearchive at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 21:20:38 PDT 2008

Title: Too Late
Author: PEJA
Email: makebelievearchive at gmail.com
Author's websites: http://peja1956.livejournal.com and
http://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/search.php?action=recent
Fandom: Primeval
Pairing: Nick Cutter/Stephen Hart, Stephen Hart/Helen Cutter
Portrayed by: Douglas Henshall/James Murray, James Murray/Juliet Aubrey
Category: Slash, het
Rating: FRT
Spoilers: nah, not really
Series/Sequel:what, like I need another WIP...
Brief Summary: Stephen wonders if he's left it too late
Warnings: nah
Notes/acknowledgments: written for the WWOMB archive's 24 hours prompt -
late. In other words, this story is written in a span of 24
General thanks to all of you folks who are requesting short fics and improvs
in the various fandoms. You're keeping the words flowing.
Disclaimers: not mine, but oh so very pretty
Archive: Yes, but ask first, include the complete story and provide a URL to
the archive
Forwarding to other lists: Okay, but keep my name and headers attached. A
heads up would be nice as well.

Stephen shook his head. How could he have been such a fool? Why had he kept
Helen's secrets? And his?

It could have all been prevented if he'd just opened his damn mouth and told
Nick that she'd been visiting him secretly. Just keep his damn pants on when
she crept into his bed. Sent her back to her own room.

Stupid. So damn stupid.

Helen had always held some magical kind of hold on him. Just the sight of
her made him do things he knew would someday destroy him.

That day had come today.

When Nick had caught them in what had to appear like a passionate lip lock.
What Nick didn't know, what Stephen had been to stunned to say, was that
Helen had suddenly jumped across the room and plastered herself into his
lap, her lips devouring his. He had been so shocked by her behavior he'd not
heard Nick walk into the room.

He had, however, heard his outraged, "What the fu...?"

At the sound of his lover's voice, Stephen had bolted to his feet, sending a
smirking Helen to the floor, none to gently.

"How long has this been going on?" Nick had demanded, his blue eyes
brilliant with the sheen of tears.

"When did it ever stop?" Helen quipped.

"She's lying, Nick.." Stephen rasped, raking trembling fingers through his
hair. "It's not what it looks like."

"It looks like you've been playing me for a fool, Stephen."

"No..."

But Nick wasn't ready to hear denials of what his eyes had seen. He turned
on his heel and was gone, leaving Stephen to whirl on Helen as she slithered
to her feet, still wearing that triumphant smirk.

"Why?"

Helen laughed, heading for the door and throwing over her shoulder. "Maybe I
wanted a little bit back on the both of you."

And she was gone as well.

Stephen wrapped his arms around his waist and huddled on the floor, rocking
back and forth with the pain wracking him.

He was too late coming to what he really wanted.

Always too late.

end

So....?

The wwomb archive http://www.squidge.org/~peja/cgi-bin/index.php accepts all
fandoms, all genres. Come create your personal page with us

THE LIGHT MY FIRE AWARDS:
The WWOMB archive has been nominated in 2 categories (content and Design) of
the "Light My Fire Awards". We'd appreciate it if you would pop over to
http://lmfa.diagonalfiction.com/index2.php and give us a vote